Tuesday, 17 July 2012

The refurbished WAGfree in Brixton Village


I was very excited to pay a visit to the refurbished WAGfree last weekend for lunch, the little shops inside Brixton Village are pretty small but by moving production out of the small space it's allowed WAGfree a bigger table and bench to exist as well as a few more tables just outside, the decor is still on the shabby chic side but hey it's Brixton so I didn't mind, there were two cooked options for lunch, fish goujons or pie which both came with peas and chips,

Wagfree pie and chips
We ordered one each. They were both delicious but I preferred the fish goujons which were yummy and crunchy, the chips were great and the mushy peas not so mushy but resembled real peas rather than your frozen variety,

WAGfree fish goujons and chips


Jules really enjoyed the steak pie which is praise indeed. The price is really reasonable and I hope this doesn’t change, WAGFree were not as busy as some of the other cafes in the village but I put that down to its niche concept? Unfortunately the service left a lot to be desired, lots of young girls focusing on I don't know what but not their customers! When I went to pay it took 3 of them to figure out how to use the till! Apparently it's new, but service elsewhere in the village is pretty slick so it would be a shame if this let it down. I bought a golden bloomer, two white rolls, a cupcake and a Victoria sponge, all of which have been good and I have been nibbling over the last few days, if I was being critical I would say the bread was on the dry side but I have still enjoyed the taste. So in summary it's a great place to go as a coeliac, it's pretty hard to find a dedicated GF bakery where you can feel confident all the food will be free of contamination, the foods great but it's the sponge cake with fresh cream I get excited about,
WAGfree gluten free sponge cake

It's good food at a good price and in a buzzy eclectic environment which is Brixton Village, I urge you to check it out

Wagfree sponge cake with cream 9/10 divine

No comments:

Post a Comment