Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Fondant cupcake class with Faircake



I love cooking and baking and being allergic to gluten I definitely seem to bake more,  as there are still so many things you cant always buy!  My mission this year was to learn how to work with fondant icing in order to bake and decorate a cake for my sons 1st birthday in January.  I found out about the company whilst on another course with the GF Baker earlier this year.  I met a keen cook who had started making cupcakes for friends weddings, she showed me some pictures on her iphone and I was blown away by how professional they looked, she said she had done a few classes with a company called Faircake so I immediately booked on a course for December choosing the fondant decorating course.  They were incredibly accommodating when I phoned to ask if I could bake GF cakes on the day and said they would provide the flour and baking powder, now there are obviously other people baking too so there is a small risk of contamination.  When I arrived in a really nice workshop space in Greenwich, I was pleased to meet Shikhita (founder of Faircake) and the 3 other attendees, I was really glad it was such a small class and obviously that meant less flour flying around so I felt happy.  We started off baking our cupcakes, the workstations were clean and had all the equipment you needed, once they were ready to go in the oven we started on the fondant icing.  

This was really fun, we coloured the icing different colours as well as some stripy details, we then also coloured the florist paste, which would be the basis of our decorations.  Shikhita was incredibly chatty throughout and added to the fun of the day. Lunch isn’t provided but you get a break to eat, I prefer this as it means the cost isn’t included and you can just bring your own stuff.  Once cooled we learnt how to cover the cupcakes in the fondant and then got to work on the intricate decorations that would go on top.  This was definitely the fun bit, Shikhita showed us how to make various animals from simple cutters, there was every shape and size cutter you could imagine so after we had done a few, we then started to let our creativity run riot and make up our own designs.  Overall I had a fantastic day, and I can’t quite believe I have made these cupcakes, as they look so professional!  (Nor can a lot of people who have seen them)! I spent a fortune buying equipment so I can give it a go at home and would highly recommend a Faircake class, you never know if enough of us ask they might even put on a Gluten-free one in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment