Thursday, 1 September 2011

Gluten-free friendly in Sidmouth, Devon

My cake search went coastal last weekend when we went for a weekend break to Sidmouth in Devon.  We were to stay at the Salty Monk Hotel, a gluten-free friendly hotel renowned for their restaurant, I had been planning to visit for a long time, so I was very excited.


It didnt dissapoint, the 3 course meal was fantastic, the service pitch perfect and having so much choice for puddings was great,  focusing on puddings, I went for the apple sponge with custard which was really good. When we checked-out the next day we were given a bag of gluten-free biscuits which were really tasty and a nice touch, highly recommend!


The next day we strolled down to the sea front where I thought I would carry on my cake search.  I came across a cafe called Brophy's, its quite an unassuming cafe in the town centre but they had a few gf cake options, a Carrot and Cardamon cake and also a Millionaires shortbread, I bought both for the car journey home to share with Jools! The carrot cake had a good flavour but was a little bit on the greasy side for my taste, the shortbread didnt really work and suffered from the dreaded 'too hard' biscuit base that a lot of GF cakes suffer from.  We thouroughly enjoyed our weekend on the coast let me know if you have found any further places for GF cakes as we will definitely be back.

Brophy's - Carrot and Cardamon cake - 6.5/10

Verified by Jools

Salty Monk
www.saltymonk.co.uk

Brophys
6 High Street, Sidmouth, Devon
No website

No comments:

Post a Comment